Thursday, January 24, 2008

Twitter

Hmm. I created my Twitter account (I'm Cataloger), started following Udweller, Jeannie, and the library, and I've put a couple of tweets out there. Underground Dweller was kind enough to do a tweet so I could see if I'd done everything correctly. :-)

I looked at five library accounts and found that they're using Twitter for short announcements-- classes, building hours, computer downtime, additions to the catalog, etc. I can see that this is an easy way to get such information out to people, but I noticed that none of the libraries has many followers, so I'm not sure how useful this could be. Stillwater free library has eight followers. Houston Library has only 58 followers, and that must be a big library. When we add new formats to the collection (CDs, DVDs, etc.) we wait until a large number of people have the equipment and start asking for them. We probably should do the same with a lot of the krl2pt0 technology-- see what lots of people are actually using, and focus on that. Blogs before Twitter, for instance.

No comments: