Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Sites for students

I'm writing this on Zoho Writer!  We'll see how it goes ...

The resources in this lesson look a lot more practical than something like Twitter.  (Although playing in Twitter helped me understand what the people in that Alli commercial are doing.)  The organizing and notetaking possibilities for students blow my mind -- I'll bet when the current generation grows up we really will be able to get closer to a paperless society.

I enjoy organizing things, so first I tried to look at Stikkit, but when I clicked on the screencast links I got blank screens.  I'll check some other day, because I really want to see how that works.

Jobster was interesting.  I learned I could make a lot more money as a GS-12 cataloger at Library of Congress, if I wanted to live in Washington, DC, rather than Washington State.  I think not, though.  Their cost of living is much higher, and their climate is appalling. 

The welcome screen for Zoho writer said that with Zoho you could use tags as folders.  What a wonderful idea!!!  I can't always remember which folder my document is in.  How can we convince Microsoft to do this?

Changing type fonts.  Hmm, this one is a little small.  Changing the point size.  The older I get, the larger the type font I enjoy. smile  Nice assortment of emoticons!

1234567890-=qwertyuiop[]\asdfghjkl;'zxcvbnm,./ (WingDings. Cute, aren't they?)

ISBNTitle
9781406542608Bardelys the magnificent
9781594482731Teahouse

Tables work well.

I like Zoho writer and now that I have an account with them I'll investigate their other applications.  Free word processing, free spreadsheets, free lots of things that are good for students and for people at home who don't want to pay for Microsoft products.

No comments: