Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Wiki, week one

The Stevens County wiki has not just a lot of library info on it, but also a lot of community info that could draw in non-library users. I especially liked the reading lists-- the Princess booklist is an excellent readers advisory tool, for instance. I also looked at Booklust and made a list of some of the titles in her "I love a mystery" section-- I'm always looking for new reading material!

I think Wiki could be the most useful thing we've looked at so far, used as a tool for pulling together all the documents, procedures, and forms that we have spread out over the web page, the transfer file, bulletin boards, notebooks, etc., as long as we can keep it organized. Wouldn't it be nice to have just one place to go to find things? I think we need to add functional areas to the wiki home page, in addition to the branches and departments. I know that I would like to be able to see system-wide procedures such as how to handle snags. I'll talk to Paulette about this.

I created a new page listing TS staff and how a book moves through the department by copying and pasting. That was as easy as pie, but linking it to the home page ...

No comments: