Monday, November 19, 2007

Library Thing

As you can see from My Library on the left, I like fantasy! Our imaginations are wonderful things, and we can create marvelous places with them.

The Mercedes Lackey books are set the The Five Hundred Kingdoms, and have fairy godmothers, dragons, wicked sorcerers, and some really spunky princesses. Terry Pratchett has a whole series of hilarious books set on the planet Discworld. Going postal and Making money feature former con artist Moist von Lipwick (pronounced Lipvig). Poor Moist, the tyrant of Ankh-Morpork has caught him and is using his skills to revive the post office and the royal bank. Both series are funny and charming.

Looking backward and Walden two are more serious works that lay out new ways of living that their authors thought would create utopian communities. Edward Bellamy was a social reformer who believed that nationalizing industry would eliminate poverty. His book was written in the late 1800s, and it's kind of depressing to realize that the problems he was railing against are still here-- the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer. B.F. Skinner was a psychologist who was developing a science that would train people to be good members of society.

Library Thing's Very Short Introduction was very easy to follow, and I was able to set up my account and catalog seven books in very little time. I had to have Dweller Underground's help to get the widget into my blog, though.

I like Library Thing's reviews much better than Amazon's-- Library Thing's members seem to be literate, and you can't always say that about Amazon's contributors. The recommendations are also good-- I've already started a list of additional books to read.

Here is the link to my library (I hope): http://www.librarything.com/catalog/Cataloger60

1 comment:

krl2pt0 said...

walden two sure takes me back. it seemed like when that first came out, the question wasn't whether or not we could approach utopia, but how we would do it. to quote the eagles, it's been a long road out of eden...

bc